With the help of some of our partners—InSphero Inc., Maine Technology Institute, Baker Co., Maine Medical Center Research Institute, University of New England, Bigelow Laboratory and Jackson Labs—TechPlace created a shared bioproduction lab with a rating of Biosafety Level 2.
The lab is well equipped for cell culture work. In addition to mammalian/plant/insect cell culture, the lab is also suitable for plating bacterial/fungus and has air incubators at 37 degrees C and 30 degrees C for that purpose.
Shared lab services
- Maintenance of permits for all lab operations
- Mandatory training and compliance for all lab users
- Maintenance of equipment and technical support
- Cleaning and waste removal
Equipped for excellence, BioWorks offers three 6-foot bench spaces available for rent. In addition to the shared lab, BioWorks also includes one large BioLab Suite with two private spaces (341 and 235 square feet) and a 242 square foot gowning area, all secured with a keypad entry door. Keep your eye on the interactive space diagram for any availability in our private labs or shared bench spaces.
Lab equipment includes
- Biological safety cabinet with independent vacuum aspiration
- CO2 incubator (adjustable)
- Air quality & handing system utilizing MERV Level 13 filters
- Refrigerated swinging bucket and centrifuge
- Water bath
- Cold storage (4 degrees C, -20 degrees C and -80 degrees C) as well as liquid N2 dewars
- Inverted phase contrast microscope with 10X and 20X objectives
- Air incubators
- Chemical fume hood
- Balances, microwave, magnetic hot plates, pH meter, and flammables cupboard
- Reverse osmosis water supply